In the past month, many members have asked to have more community interactions here again — specifically more:
- people coming to lunch,
- lightning talks,
- expectation for more frequent and in-depth conversations,
- visits to events around town,
- maybe other things.
We can make that happen.
I’m wondering if optional weekly or every-other-week meetings might be of interest, for 30 minutes, to chat about what we’re each:
- would like more of here, and are
- appreciating here and want to keep growing or make even better.
I’ll host an optional member meeting this coming Wednesday, and the Wednesday after, in the NW Conference room (the first room on the right when you come in), from 2-2:30pm, for members to share updates/events, goals, and questions/suggestions, and get feedback from other members if there are things you’d like to organize here. I love having a variety of events and groups and activities here and want more of that.
More member ability to host meetings/groups
One specific request was for members to have more ability to host meetings and groups here. I checked with various members and staff and updated the Membership page http://collectiveagency.
So far everybody I’ve checked with wants to start having the new meeting option or doesn’t have a preference. If you do want to keep the old option, you can. The new option is:
- Conference room access: up to three hours per member each day (with the option to reserve in advance to have up to 13 clients/visitors/co-workers in those meetings).
- Unlimited short visits of up to 30 minutes each.
- Conference rooms for private calls and/or conversations with other members, up to two hours each day.
- One monthly meeting credit for up to two hours in a conference room with unlimited visitors.
Likely that’ll lead to more social groups (book groups, game nights, small user groups and workshops), client meetings, etc here.
Please talk with me or Kenneth (who’s here on Wednesdays) if you have any questions or suggestions. And you can reserve conference rooms with me, Kenneth, and Arianna.
(This is an email to the Collective Agency Google Group that I sent out today. -Alex)
Hi Collective Agency members,
Lots of good things have been happening. Here are photos, events, and updates.
* Photos for your enjoyment from January and early February: https://collectiveagency.co/2014/02/21/january-and-february-2014-photos/
* This Sunday 2-5pm is roller skating at Oaks Park for members/friends/family. New: Some of us will meet at Collective Agency at 1:15pm, bicycle down the Springwater Corridor trail, meet more people near OMSI at SE 4th and Division at 1:30pm, and arrive around 1:45pm. (It’s a beautiful half hour bike ride total.) Info & RSVP:
* This coming Wednesday from 9am to 5pm is the monthly open house (Last Wednesdays of each month, for anyone to come and work with us for the day, it’s a great day to invite friends and co-workers). Potluck lunch at 12pm and Lightning Talks from 2 to 2:30pm (Jason speaks Chinese and will talk about “Chinese 101″, Kenneth may talk about inspiring lessons he learned from the book The War of Art, and perhaps someone will lead yoga/stretching.) RSVP: https://www.facebook.com/events/184987988365717/
* Friday February 28th from 5:30 to 6:30pm, Resh will build a new set of mailslots. There’ll be some construction sounds from a conference room.
* For mid/late March, some members have requested a medium-difficulty multi-hour hike/walk in the forest somewhere; any ideas?
* Wifi: I’ve made a new wifi network name for the conference rooms and entry lounge: CollectiveConfRooms. The password is the same the one for the CollectiveAgency network: cooperativeworkplace (all lowercase, no spaces).
This provides the option to manually connect to the strongest wifi network signal wherever you are in the building. (If your laptop automatically connects to the strongest signal already, then nothing will be different for you, except please add the password “cooperativeworkplace” for the CollectiveConfRooms wifi network.)
I’ve posted more details here about wifi signal strength/reliability in case you’re interested: https://collectiveagency.co/collective-agency-wifi/ Ask me in person or email me if you have any questions.
Collective Agency’s Community Organizer / Proprietor
(503) 517-6900 https://collectiveagency.co
Tax and Conversation’s Statewide Community Organizer
(503) 517-6904 taxandconversation.com
(503) 369-9174 mobile (503) 517-6901 fax
322 NW Sixth Ave, Suite 200, Portland, Oregon 97209
Here are photos for your enjoyment from January and early February. These photos show various lunch, Lightning Talks, and other member activities here when members aren’t working. My biggest joy here is members organizing and making things happen that they care about:
- Lunch at 12pm is the most social time of day: some members walk to the food carts and bring back food. Most members eat and talk on the sofas.
- Lightning Talks are Wednesdays 2pm to 2:30pm; members share what they’re passionate about and committed to; something inspiring, 2 to 8 minutes per person.
- And recently monthly activities organized by members have started (for members, family and friends): a holiday party in December, ice skating in January, roller skating this coming Sunday in February. hiking in March….
I really like this photo. People have lots of options here — where they sit or stand, when they work, and how and why.