ACTIONS THAT CAME OUT OF THE MEETING
1) Upcoming Member Events.
Member Happy Hour: We’ll have Happy Hour Thursday August 28th 5pm at Collective Agency. For and by members. Expect drinks. Bring friends.
2) Members can initiate events.
- Members get 3 hours per day in conference rooms, and can have visitors during these 3 hours (either in a conference room or the big loft room, up to 13 visitors at a time). It is subject to availability, so you might want to reserve in advance. See http://collectiveagency.
co/terms-of-service/ “ Membership >> Members hosting meetings” for details.
- Stefanie led a lunch on Monday that some members described as a very successful lunch.
- At the optional member meeting, the first thing people were interested in planning was after-hours parties. End-of-the-week (Thursdays or Fridays, starting 5pm here) was agreed to be the best day for after-hours parties.
- Alex asked if anyone would post the Happy Hour event, and this time it was decided Alex will do it, but some members might post other events in future.
There are a few ways to let people know about an event. People get the best response by doing all four:
• Ask people in-person in advance to confirm interest and get suggestions
• Put fliers around here
• Email the Google Group, with the date/time/place, and a few sentences about why you’re personally into it / hoping to get out of it.
• Invite people here a few minutes before it starts. (Sign up for the Collective Agency Google Group/email listserve here.)
• Asking people is almost always good, people appreciate being asked even if they say no.
• People here almost always don’t mind being asked if they want to participate in something.
• People here say no very quickly or shake their head or say they’re working if they are working.
• We do have, on top of the mail slots in the big loft room, some placards that say “Ask me what I’m working on!” or “I’m working”.
Everybody who expressed an opinion agreed that $250/month is good. Some questions were asked and answered. $50/month off for pre-paying 12 months or more sounds good. These rate updates happened August 20th after the meeting, and various websites will be updated in the coming weeks. The rate each person signs up at and keeps paying at is the rate they keep. If someone wants to sign up for the $50/month off by pre-paying 12 months or more, they can do that any time, and then they could switch back to the monthly rate without the $50/month off.
Collective Agency: Optional Member Meeting . August 20th 2014, 2-2:30pm.
1. What’s your name?
2. What’s something you’re passionate about (describe it in 30 seconds or less)?
Some members want more community interactions, more warmth/vulnerability/openness/ in-depth conversations. We can make that happen. Asking for advice and especially for actions you’d like to organize or do with other people here.
1. What are some things that you would like to do or see at Collective Agency?
2. What is something you are passionate about that you would like to share with other members?
3. What would you like Open House events to be like?
4. What other areas of focus/questions would you like, if any?
Goals (each is for the above questions):
1. Establish individual agency, working towards collective agency.
2. Generate material for inspiring and concise lightning talks.
3. Make Open Houses more participatory and warm/eventful.
1. Expanded conference room and meeting access for members.
2. Makes sense to lower rates for new members back to $250/month and keep rates there for the next couple of years at least, unless there’s some substantial rate change by multiple other co-working places in Portland, which is unlikely. Question: include $50 off per month if someone pre-pays for 12 months or more?
MEETING NOTES NOT COVERED UNDER EVENTS/UPDATES ABOVE:
The meeting started by each of us saying our name and something we’re each passionate about.
• Alex – sit with friends and watch fantastic things, like the Boxcar Derby last Saturday
• Claire – communication with people, it elevates things
• Ed – trying to make business based on open data/tools and not have people take advantage of the non-proprietary model
• Lori – Stefanie’s mom, biked here with her
• Stefanie – details
• Willa – cross-fertilization. Fiction writing. Working around people doing different things, and being influenced by that. Complicated energy
• Kenneth – community, and people helping build community
• Leslie – active, hiking, gym classes
For “What are some things that you would like to do or see at Collective Agency?” after after-hours parties (see above), the second suggestion was about presentation talks. We didn’t decide any dates/times for actions yet.
• Kenneth described his vision for Lightning Talks – mini-TED Talks about topics that the person sharing is familiar with, inspired by, and sharing
• Watch TED Talk and discuss – there are a lot of people wanting that. We’ll start with that.
• There’s been a lack of people lately offering to do talks. More people doing talks, we’ll have more talks.
o People could wing something, pick topics out of a hat. Or could play Charades. Games are good sometimes.
o Claire is interested in Tai Chi. Does someone here want to lead it? Maybe Claire would lead it. Or she could talk about lessons from bartending school.
o Stefanie will bring in a Vitamix sometime and make things.
o Alex will talk about the amendment he’s leading.
That’s what we had time to talk about, we’ll continue next week, same time and place. We covered some of question 1, some of question 2, and some of question 4.