Coworking week is a thing, and it's happening, as it turns out, this week.
In Portland, the event, which honors the shared office spaces that are prevalent among the city's tech startups, will be marked at 13 spaces. The group Workfrom is even holding gatherings, with seminars and other networking opportunities, to tout the concept.
The Portland events are part of a broader set of happenings connected to International Coworking Week, which runs between Aug. 4 and Aug. 7. The events are "devoted to celebrating those people and places creating the commons," according to Workfrom.
"It's also a conference for freelancers, artists, startups and remote employees to connect, work alongside others, socialize and learn tips for safer, more productive work in coworking environments."
Events will take place throughout the week of August 3rd at a variety of coworking spaces around town. Even better, those spaces will be hosting open coworking hours, allowing folks to try out new spaces or simply to dip their proverbial toe in the coworking waters.
Participating spaces and coffeeshops include:
- In Southeast Portland, Bare Bones, at 2908 S.E. Belmont St., Factory at 2505 S.E. 11th Ave., Nxt Industries — The Lab, at 1302 S.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
- In the Pearl District at CENTRL Office, at 1355 N.W. Everett St., Christopher David, at 901 N.W. 10th Ave., and Deskhub at N.W. 11th Ave.
- Downtown at Collective Agency, 322 N.W. Sixth Ave., Umpqua Bank at Director Park, 750 S.W. Yamhill St., Venture Business Centers at 707 S.W. Washington St. and Forge Portland, at 1410 S.W. Morrison St.
- Hatch Community Innovation Lab, at 2420 N.E. Sandy Blvd.
- In North Portland at Pep Coworking Shop, 2121 N. Willis Blvd. and at St. Johns Coffee Roasters, at 7304 N. Leavitt Ave.