Community Mission Statement:

A cozy place to work alongside people doing work they’re passionate about and committed to, where 80% of people say hi. Come and work here!

Email: Council@CollectiveAgency.co Twitter: @CollectiveAgenC Facebook Instagram Yelp Google Places Flickr search keyword: collectiveagency LinkedIn

Meeting Agendas & Notes

Welcome to Collective Agency’s repository of meeting agendas and notes that go back to our founding in 2011. Moving forward, new agendas and notes will be on our blog.

Civics Meeting

Tuesday December 4th 3:30pm - 4:30pm 2012

Agenda

3:35 Reports and Reminders

Weekly Updates
Gentle Reminders

3:45 New Business

A cap On Scholarships?

Lightning Talks and Social Media Strategy Update
Holiday Parties

4:25 Review

Next steps
Thoughts on meeting process and design

Visit permalink for full meeting notes.

By Fitz Ryland,

Civics Meeting

Tuesday November 20th 3:30pm - 4:30pm 2012

Agenda

3:35 Reports and Reminders

  • Weekly Updates

  • Gentle Reminders

3:45 New Business

  • Contributions to content of our New Web Page

  • Design of a Kick Ass Media Plan

4:25 Review

  • Next steps

  • Thoughts on meeting process and design

Visit permalink for full meeting notes.

By Fitz Ryland,

Civics Meeting

Tuesday November 13th 3:30pm - 4:30pm 2012

Agenda

3:30 Welcome

  • Check-in

  • Civics Meetings – Purpose and Intention

  • Roles? Timekeeper, Note Taker, Facilitator

3:35 Reports and Reminders

  • Weekly Updates

  • Gentle Reminders

3:45 New Business

  • Our optimal members

  • Website Redesign Feedback

  • How do members use space?

  • Advertising ideas for the next open house

4:25 Review

  • Next steps

Visit permalink for full meeting notes.

By Fitz Ryland,

Civics Meeting

Tuesday November 13th 3:30pm - 4:30pm 2012

Agenda

3:30 Welcome

  • Check-in

  • Civics Meetings – Purpose and Intention

  • Roles? Timekeeper, Note Taker, Facilitator

3:35 Reports and Reminders

  • Weekly Updates

  • Gentle Reminders

3:45 New Business

  • Our optimal members

  • Website Redesign Feedback

  • How do members use space?

  • Advertising ideas for the next open house

4:25 Review

  • Next steps

Visit permalink for full meeting notes.

By Fitz Ryland,

Civics Meeting

Tuesday November 6th 3:30pm - 4:30pm 2012

Agenda

3:30 Welcome

  • Civics Meetings – Purpose and Intention

  • Roles? Timekeeper, Note Taker, Facilitator

  • Check-in

3:35 Reports and Reminders

  • Weekly Updates

  • Gentle Reminders

3:45 New Business

  • Community Organizer – Process for Receiving and Acting on Suggestions

  • Membership Acquisition

    • Changing rates – updates and more details:

    • Option for membership-on-hold

    • Our optimal member

  • Space Management

  • Phone Call Etiquette

4:25 Review

  • Next steps

  • Thoughts on meeting process and design

Visit permalink for full meeting notes.

By Fitz Ryland,

Civics Meeting

Tuesday October 30th 3:30pm - 4:30pm 2012

Agenda

Summary:

Voted yes on rates change. It goes into effect tomorrow for our first monthly Open House. View: Rate Change Proposal

Result: Current members paying $320/month will now pay $250/month. Current members paying $495/month will now pay $380/month. Members currently paying $160/month will be asked to volunteer to pay $250/month, but will not be required to.
Good news: 5 new members signed up on Friday and Monday, mostly because of the community here.
Aimee will add two agenda items (monitor storage, and phone calls)  to next week’s agenda.
Fitz will send out a newsletter, will change website so people sign up at new rate, will announce in every way he can. Members asked to refer friends: that is how people become members.
Meetings this week? Alex’s Tax and Conversation meeting this Tuesday 6pm. Andrejka and Todd’s meetings went great last week.

 

Full Notes:

3:30 Welcome

  • Civics Meetings – Purpose and Intention.
  • Volunteers for roles: Timekeeper, Note Taker, Facilitator
Fitz chair, Aimee and Andrejka facilitators, Tom timekeeper, Alex notes.
  • Check-in
Steve, settled into Portland, grateful for this place to work and for the people here.
Tom, here over a year, a great place to work, people great, very appreciative of having this space.
Don Park, grateful we haven’t had any natural disasters.
Molly, really appreciate a dust-free space to work in. On staycation.
Fitz, appreciative of challenges presented with here.
Alex, appreciative of people seeming to be okay in New York and other places with the weather.
Todd, been here more than a year, appreciative of cross-over conversations here. Collective Agency makes those conversations really deep. And appreciative of the community here.
Aimee, here 20 weeks now, thankful for technology, to be in touch with what’s happening in New York, Occupy here, and collaborative tools being developed that supports her work.
Andrejka, been here for months, grateful for old friends.

3:40 Reports and Reminders

  • Weekly Update
Fitz: Signed up 5 new members between Friday and Monday. More people know about us, good feeling. More buzz about coworking generally in Portland.
Fitz: Working hard on rate change proposal. Fewer meetings being booked, meetings are seasonal.
  • Review of CoAg process for proposals
Fitz: wants everyone to feel that anyone can make proposals. We have a suggested format.
1) Why do you want to change something here?
2) What do you want to change? What is this problem-solving/what do you want to be different?
3) Write it up and publish it, at least 2 business days before the next meeting.
4) Proposal has to pass in a civics (Tuesdays 3:30pm, has to be submitted by Fridays 3:30pm) and a council meeting (Mondays 4:30pm, has to be submitted by Thursdays 4:30pm).
5) Has to pass through both meetings by 60% of the attendees.
Good to have checks and balances, but it’s not that hard.
Aimee: Where can people see that process, to follow the instructions?
Fitz: You can post the proposal on our wiki (on the website), really happy to show anyone how to do that. And/or to send it out on the Google Group. If you do that, Fitz will send it out on Twitter and post in on the Facebook page. It would also be good to print out the proposal and post it around the space. We also have a newsletter with 500+ people, but rarely would send to the newsletter.
Molly: I think it’s been really easy to approach you with an idea, thanks for helping me out. I proposed a lot of things.
Fitz: Molly felt members should have one free meeting a month, that meeting with a group clients would be really supportive of people here. Molly and Tom proposed, and we went through some back and forth on it, members can have one group meeting a month for up to two hours in a conference room. You can have as many people as you want into that meeting room, you’ll staff it, all members know how to let people in. It’s blossomed into a way for people to have user group meetings. Andrejka, Todd, Alex, Molly.
[Notetaker: We also have 3 visits per member per month, who can meet in conference rooms. See the Membership page and scroll down for details.]
  • Gentle Reminders
Fitz: Please bring or chip in for coffee.
Andrejka: I brought chicory root, as a coffee alternative.
Fitz: Also please always lock the elevator upstairs, last person here.
Alex: If after 5pm weekdays or on weekends and elevator is on, then each person should turn it off as they leave and lock it upstairs?
Group: Yes.

3:45 New Business

Aimee asks if anyone has other items. None.

  • Membership Acquisition
Fitz: What I’m proposing is to change the flexible rate from $320/month to $250/month, and to change the reserved desk rate from $495/month to $380/month. There are several reasons. 1) We don’t have that many people signing up at $320. We have 53 members total, 8 members paying the $320 rate. 4 of those members are Mozilla employees. We have 4 members currently paying $320/month. We need more members paying.
Fitz: Total expenses are $14,400 a month. Rent, insurance, leasing-to-buy the chairs, paying me, paying Aimee, and we pay a pretty good rate on all of that.
Fitz: Mozilla will be leaving sometime in the first quarter of 2013.
Andrejka: How did Mozilla find out about us?
Alex: Dietrich, Dave, Taras were members here, and there was sort of a campaign by them to have Mozilla here.
Andrejka: How many members do we want, ideally?
Fitz: We’ll need 22-28 members at the $250 rate. With Mozilla leaving that’ll bring it to 76 members.
Andrejka: You set the stage, so what do we want to…?
Fitz: Biggest reason people not signing up is they say it’s too expensive.
Alex: And people signing up, why are they signing up?
Fitz: The community is a big part of it, and it has to make financial sense. The people signing up are I think the ones who do value the community a lot, though there are people who aren’t signing up who would value community. I think we’d have a broader variety of people here, and the virtue of just having more people here.
Fitz shows the rate chart to group.  View: Rate Change Proposal
Todd: They’re the closest comparison we can get given that there aren’t any other democratic coworking places around.
Steve: How many members here work for big companies?
Fitz: I would say a majority of people here work for large companies and telecommute.
Alex: And of people here right now (around this table), how many are here from large companies?
Fitz: None.
Steve: A comparable service would be, where do they actually go? Is it $250 here or $190 at NedSpace, or work out of a guest bedroom?
Fitz: Coffee shops, single office space (very small office spaces).
Aimee: Some places calculate rates based on how much it would cost to work at a coffee shop full-time.
Fitz compares us to NedSpace: rates are only $175 there, but the community is the highlight here.
Molly: It seems strange to me that a permanent desk is more than $120 more.
Fitz: Once we start reaching capacity, flexible space is more valuable, potentially 3 times what a reserved desk is worth. And I don’t see a community difference between the two.
4:07pm.
Molly: My friends who haven’t joined, want to bring their monitor. I’ve told them you can bring it and leave it and it’s okay. Todd’s really nice and leaves his out, but I’m wondering if providing a space for people to store their precious cargo that doesn’t fit into a locker, because flex doesn’t work for them because of their equipment.
Fitz: I would really love some help with brainstorming.
Aimee: Can I suggest after, take that (monitor storage) to an agenda item to next week, especially to encourage more members?
Steve: Probably a similar item to next week, if I do have to make a lot of phone calls, it’s speaking in a public area instead of a private area. Some way to clarify etiquette. I’m not sure how many people are saying no to a communal workspace because of phone calls.
Todd: suggests building something.
Molly mentions phone rooms, where people can go talk.
Fitz: Let’s talk about phone calls next week.
Todd: With rate change, will all members adjust to the new rate?
Fitz: In the past it’s always been you stay at the rate at which you signed up [except for scholarships]. And we’ll do the same thing this time. Although I’m asking members paying grandfathered rates (21 members paying $160), asking them to volunteer to pay the $250 rate. I do think we’re all going to need to contribute and step up and do this all together.
Todd: The reason this request is being made is to help Collective Agency sustainability.
Alex: What about Ryan’s comment about people ending membership if they leave for 3 months without financial benefit of staying?
Fitz: It’s a lot more helpful to refer new members.
Molly: It doesn’t seem necessary.
Alex: Okay.
Fitz: I want people to be incentivized to use their membership.
Todd: Does this bring up the question of who is an optimal member? Are we looking for a type of member we’re looking to get more of in the space? What are we thinking that optimal candidate might be?
Fitz: will decline to answer this.
4:15pm.
Tom: I’m at the $160 rate and downstream makes sense we’ll have to make some adjustments. Something I want to ease into as we get closer to the departure of Mozilla. I think it’s fundamental for this place — there’s a good thing going on here. I like the idea of the lower rate because I think it’ll increase the membership.
Todd: I’m for it. I’ve been paying $160 from the beginning and if I’m not paying a sustainable rate, then it’s not real. And if it’s not real, this place won’t stick around. I’m willing to pay more to reach a more sustainable level.
Andrejka: I think it’s a good idea. When I’ve introduced this place and described the rates to friends, one thought the space was cool but the price was a bit much.
Steve: Sounds great to me.
Alex: Will there be a newsletter and stuff if this goes?
Fitz: Yes.
Molly: So we could announce tomorrow at the Open House?
Alex: So how do we vote on it?
Fitz: Vote?
All 8 vote yes.

4:25 Review

  • Next steps
Aimee will add two agenda items to next week.
Fitz will do newsletter, will change so people sign up at new rate, will announce in every way he can.
Alex will post notes to wiki and email Google Group.
Meetings this week? Alex’s Tax and Conversation meeting this Tuesday 6pm. Andrejka and Todd’s meetings went great.
  • Thoughts on meeting improvements
permalink

By Fitz Ryland,

Civics Meeting

Tuesday October 23rd 3:30pm - 4:30pm 2012

Agenda

Voted yes: There will be open houses 9am-5pm open to everyone as much as they like, last Wednesdays of the month, starting this October 31st, 9am-5pm. Halloween costumes encouraged. Get people in to see interactions, as visitors. Everyone that’s currently a member to invite one or two people specifically. Explicitly ask them. Because that’s how people become members.

Fitz will put report on member rates together and email to the Google Group before the next civics meeting on member rates.
Civics meetings will start up again every Tuesday 3:30pm, same place, same time. Meetings and events and reminders below: see Updates.

1. Welcome (3:30pm)

  • Civics Meetings – Purpose and Intention. Ideas for process change.
Aimee: What do we want to make of civics meetings, to be really exciting?
Fitz: “Civics meetings to be a place for chatting, collaborating, brainstorming, hearing goals and challenges we’re facing.”
Aimee: “If we only point to Fitz and say what things we’d like Fitz to do, it’s limited what we can do, so maybe we can give lots of support for people to be engaged, what does volunteering look like?”
Fitz: “Some of the best things about this place are going to lunch, having casual conversations. Had a debate-watching party here last night. In that spirit, keep in a casual conversation format.”
Questions about structure vs casual, desire for not difficult (Selena), simple and consistent (Andrejka)?
Alex: “Why have civics meetings?”
Fitz: “To come around and have an atmosphere where we can contribute and share and shape what this place is. For people to be able to give their input into what this place is. Camraderie. Eating snacks someone made.”
  • Roles? Chair (Fitz), Note Taker (Alex), Timekeeper (Andrejka), Facilitator (Aimee).
  • Check-in
Participants: Paul K, Andrejka, Alex, Fitz, Selena, Greg, David, Don, Aimee, Carol, Molly.

2. Reports and Reminders (3:45pm)

  • Weekly Update
Agenda:
Proposal to do an open house. (Priority.)
Rate change discussion. (Priority for Fitz to get a proposal together for next week about rates.)
New memberships happening.
Meeting process and design.
Updates:
A) Mozilla has acquired their own building and is scheduled to leave sometime in early 2013.
B) Open house successful, people heard about us, not good conversion rate. Why? Fitz thinks our rates are too high.
  • Gentle Reminders
If drink coffee, please put some change in the jar (or even better, buy some coffee sometimes).
Please be sure for last person leaving to lock the elevator upstairs.
Events:
Andrejka is leading Skywalker Paradigm: Oct 27 at 5pm.
Todd Pitt and Duke Leto is hosting SMUG (Social Media Users Group) on the rise of social coding (6:30pm Oct 24 Wed.
Dunbar Aitkens Glass Plate Game 6:30pm Monday Oct 29.
Notetaker request: to provide even better info, some events are on the calendar, Fitz and Aimee and members please remind members to post their events on the Collective Agency Calendar: http://collectiveagency.co/events/
3. New Business
  • Membership Acquisition
    • Update from Fitz and Aimee

PR could be better. Press releases were sent out last month, picked up by 2 publications. Collective Agency is listed on many coworking directories.

Selena: “Where do you tend to get conversions?”

Fitz: “Referrals. And repeated exposure. Someone hears about us, comes here for a meeting, and knows some friends.  Monthly open houses would be a reason to refer. Come and hang out.”

    • Goals and needs
    • Proposal for monthly open house
Monthly Open House Proposal:
9am-5pm monthly.
get people in to see interactions, as visitors.
Challenges:
freebie abuse.
Greg: “We already have that though, when people visit, they can sit around for a day or a few days, right?” Fitz: “Yes. And this would be regular, I think people would come every month.”
Selena: “Do you think calling first to come is a barrier?” Fitz: “Yes, but people don’t have to call to come. It’s a little more convenient, but even when I’m at lunch, people can come in.”
Andrejka: “And you’re going to tweet ‘Meet us for CoAg lunch, right?’ I thought that was cool.”
Paul K: “Are there competitors we’re competing with?”
Carol: “Right in this area there are a lot of people who might fit better here. It’s just a street where there are a lot of small working spaces. What are the rates there?”
(4pm)
Aimee: “We’re looking at this as a potential. Fitz, you’re looking at this as a proposal, does that mean you want an okay on this, or not? What do we need at this point to flush this out so Fitz can walk away knowing we’ll move forward on this?”
Fitz: “A question for you: Do you think you’d invite friends to come work with you on the last Wednesday of the month?”
Yes’s from around the table.
Greg: “There’s Calagator.”
Aimee: So anyone can come in, part of the goal is for people to come in.
Selena: “So that’s next week, people can come in costume?”
Molly: “We have to.”
Aimee: “Any objections?”
Selena: “I have a suggestion. That you ask everyone that’s currently a member to invite one or two people specifically. Explicitly ask them.”
Fitz: “That’s a great suggestion.”
Selena: “Because if referrals are making money, target them.”
Fitz: “Would any of you be less encouraged to come, if more people here?” Selena: “Depends on what I’m working on.” Paul K: “Wouldn’t make much of a difference.”
Selena: “If I told one of my friends to come, I’d probably show up.” Paul K: “I’ll see you there.”
Aimee: “If no objections, make it a go?” Fitz: “It’d be just as easy to change or reverse it.” Aimee: “OK, move on.” Fitz: “OK, vote on this.”
All vote yes. 7 members vote yes.
Fitz: “OK, yes.”
  • Changing rates – discussion (4:08pm)
Changing Rates Discussion:
Fitz: “I think it’s our community and being around folks that makes this a good place to be. For not much more than $320/month you can get a private office of your own, which sounds awful to me, but seems really appealing to some people.”
Greg: “The coworking space I used to work in Seattle, they’re $300 and you can get a desk to lease, and private offices for $550.”
Aimee: “Why a rates change conversation, for what reason?”
Fitz: “Lack of conversion, real need to get more members before Mozilla leaves.”
Fitz: “Need to improve rate change, for new membership for immediate 20 members.”
Andrejka: “Why not have a limited time discount?”
Greg: “Coworking space I was at, had limited passes, every time you came in, you knocked one off.”
Fitz: “We haven’t had a day rate for goal of continued community.”
Aimee: “I’d love to put that on the table. It strengthens the community when you don’t have a day pass.”
Andrejka, Selena, Greg would support of a day rate instead of a coffeeshop.
Fitz: “Part of it is paying to support a community, to sustain this thing. I hope the monthly membership accomplishes that goal.”
Selena: “I think you’re picking a good season to do a membership drive, because this is the depressing part of the year and people might be thinking about needing human companionship.”
Molly (from across the room, making a voice, joking): “I’m cold and alone.”
Selena: “Target people in overcrowded workspaces, or without an office.”
4:14pm
Paul K: “Do you have a target price in mind?” Fitz: “$250/month for a regular membership. For permanent desks, Mozilla is the only renting permanent desks at $495/month, so I think it’s too high.”
Aimee: “How to work with current rate members?”
Fitz: “To ask for members grandfathered at the old $160/month to pay a new rate. I had a member mention to me one time, ‘Hey Fitz, if you need me to pay a higher rate, just let me know.’ We would need 6 out of 21 people to trade up in order to make the difference.”
Andrejka: “Do you have a referral thing?” Fitz: “Talked about it, ended up getting feedback that majority of people would be discouraged to refer people if they got a financial benefit.”
Aimee: “What do you want to do with this next?”
Fitz: “What I feel least stable about is the rates, consistency.”
Andrejka: “Why not do a temporary $200/month for a month or two, then be permanently at $250, a two or three month offer.” Fitz: “Or even a month.” Molly: “We’ve always gone you’re grandfathered in (other than scholarships).”
Alex: “I like putting it at a rate of $250 or $200 for a month, then if people don’t sign up in that month, they don’t get the lower rate for awhile.”
Fitz: “The time urgency, it’s just more complicated.”

4. Review (4:22pm)

  • Next steps
Aimee: “I think this has been productive. What do you see as the next step?”
Fitz: “I want to come up with a proposal on how to change the rates.”
Paul K: “The thing that’s hard about the rate is, what’s the competitive rate.” Selena: “And what’s the effect if 10 members sign up.”
Alex: “When does the open house go into effect?” Fitz: “Open house passed last night in Coordinating Council last night by 60% and today, so we have a last Wednesday on Halloween.”
Fitz will put report together and email to the Google Group before the next civics meeting on rates.
Alex will post notes to wiki now, will post to Google Group tomorrow.
Aimee: Next week, talk about new membership stuff.
  • Thoughts on meeting process and design

Aimee: “How run this meeting more fun, fair?”

Selena: “Put meeting on PiratePad so more people can contribute.”

Greg: “If in a Google Calendar I can subscribe to, that’s best for me.” Fitz will do.

Greg: “Will this civics meeting be the same day, same place, same time each week?” Fitz: Yes.

Fitz will send notes in advance to people to be able to edit.

Aimee: I’ll be here Tuesdays to assist with facilitating.

4;29pm. Wrap.

permalink

By Fitz Ryland,

Civics Meeting

Tuesday September 25th 3:30pm - 4:30pm 2012

Agenda

I. Welcome – 5 min

  1. Something you have been appreciative of in the last week?
  2. Assignment of Roles – Facilitator, Note Taker, Time Keeper
II. Reports – 15 min
  1. Open House Summary
  2. Whats Next on Outreach? - Approaching VC, Focus on Meeting and Events
III. New Business – 20-40 min We can decide how long we want to brainstorm on this.
  1. New Logo – First Round Drafts
  2. CA Hosted Events Here – Community Building
permalink

By Fitz Ryland,

Coordinating Council Meeting

Monday September 24th 4:30pm - 5:30pm 2012

Agenda

I. Welcome – 5 min

  1. Something you have been appreciative of in the last week?
  2. Assignment of Roles – Facilitator, Note Taker, Time Keeper

II. Reports – 15 min

  1. Collective Agency Financials – Fitz
  2. Open House Summary
  3. Whats Next on Outreach? - Approaching VC, Focus on Meeting and Events

III. New Business – 20-40 min We can decide how long we want to brainstorm on this.

  1. Meeting Time
  2. CA Hosted Events Here – Community Building
permalink

By Fitz Ryland,

Civics Meeting

Tuesday July 17th 3:30pm - 4:30pm 2012

Agenda

Out of respect for all of your time we will be keeping this meeting to 30 min. as decided last week.

1. Welcome

  • Roles? Timekeeper, Note Taker, Chair
  • What is something you were appreciative of in the last week?

2. Reports

  • Weekly Update – This will be the first of a scheduled weekly update of the business and how things are going.
    • Meetings on the rise in a big way.
    • Lightning Talks – really developing into something great.
    • Membership Drive Update
  • Gentle Reminder – Please try to mindful of the two hour daily limit of conference rooms.
  • Gentle Reminder – Remember to throw about $0.50 in the jar when you drink a cup of coffee.

3. New Business

  • Meeting Room Availability – Have you all had sufficient access to meeting rooms for phone calls and such?
  • Special Deals – Promotional Rates, are they right for Collective Agency?

4. Review

  • What did you like about this meeting? What could we do better?
  • What supportive action will you do this week?
permalink

By Fitz Ryland,

1234