Governance at Collective Agency
How updates to the Terms of Service work, or if a member wants to put something to a vote:
These three criteria must be met for a Collective Agency vote to ‘be voted yes by members’ – if it affects the terms of service or if someone wants to put it to a vote:
a) More members voted yes than no = more voted (‘very much yes’ and ‘yes’) than (‘very much no’ and ‘no’).
b) Less than 15% of all members vote ‘very much no’, including all members who saw the question and didn’t answer it but answered other questions.
c) At least the same number of members who voted ‘very much no’ voted ‘very much yes’.
For members to change or add something to the terms of service at Collective Agency, or if a member wants to put something to a vote:
- You can propose something and if it seems from asking some members in person that it might pass, it’ll be put to a vote.
- Voting choices are: ‘very much no’, ‘no’, ‘no preference (skip this question)’, ‘yes’, ‘very much yes’.
- For decisions specific to a location (Division or Morrison/downtown), only members who work at that location get to vote.
- Members can vote conditionally: ‘I vote ‘very much no’ because of ____’ and if that criteria is met, it would no longer be a ‘very much no’.
- There isn’t any ‘gaming of the system’, since that would be against the Community Guidelines. Voting, as with everything else, is within the Community Guidelines, and on governance issues, also within the Governance Guidelines.
Context for the above concepts in various communities:
- ‘Very much yes’ is also known as ‘fuck yes’ or as ‘extreme consent’ or as ‘consent’.
- Decisions specific to people at a location or people doing the work is known as ‘local control’ or ‘subsidiarity’.
- Conditional voting on ‘very much no’ is part of a ‘hard block’ in ‘modified consensus’.
Collective Agency is a ‘self-governing community’, a ‘workplace democracy’ that’s a member organization of the US Federation of Worker Cooperatives; our members have access to training and other resources through the Federation.